Relieving your jaw pain
Are you experiencing unexplained sticking, clicking, popping, or aching in your jaw? If so, then you might have TMJ disorder. Also known as TMD, this disorder occurs when the temporomandibular joint becomes stressed, injured, or misaligned.
TMJ problems can be caused by any of the following:
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis inflammation.
- Grinding or clenching your teeth, especially at night.
- Missing a permanent tooth that causes undue stress on your jaw when you chew.
- Previous injury to the jaw.
- Misalignment of the teeth.
- Bone disease or middle ear diseases.
Fortunately, you don’t have to keep dealing with this discomfort. Dr. Elrod has helped hundreds of patients throughout Lake Jackson and beyond overcome jaw pain through TMJ treatment.
When you come into our office, the dentist will examine your teeth and mouth to determine your specific condition. We will check for tenderness, clicking, and popping in the jaw. We will also take any necessary x-rays to get the most information about your situation as possible.
Common symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- Grinding, clicking, or popping sounds in the jaw when you open and close your mouth.
- Inability to open your mouth wide to speak, yawn, or chew.
- A locked or stuck jaw.
- Pain when chewing and biting.
- Pain in the neck, shoulders, or ears.
- Frequent headaches.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, contact us immediately to set up a consultation. We’ll help you understand the causes and review the best possible treatment options for your specific needs. TMJ treatment may include jaw and facial relaxation exercises, lifestyle changes, restorative dental treatments, a mouth guard or night guard, or, in extreme cases, jaw surgery.
We want to make your visit to our office pleasant and comfortable. Feel free to call us with any questions or to find out more about our TMJ disorder treatments.